Tuesday, March 8, 2011

*That* Mother

So, as of Sunday, I am that mother.

Not the "bad mutha-shut-yo-mouth!" kind.
Not the mother with the dewy skin, skinny jeans, and high-school body.

Nope. I'm the mother with the infant screaming bloody murder on the airplane during the final minutes of its descent. The one that you glare at. The one you wish would take control of her child's emotions. The one you wish would just make that baby shut up. Yeah, that's me! For all of you who were on AA flight 636 on Sunday...sorry. Stuff happens.

On behalf of all of the That Mothers out there, let me say this: it's not our dream to be glared at by an entire plane while our child melts down. It's not a great feeling to watch helplessly as the baby I bore endures pain and, in the midst of it, refuses to receive salvific help. Piercing glares won't solve any problems. Neither will the pity stares.

The woman sitting next to me on the plane gave me the sweetest encouragement: "my granddaughter came in on a plane from Korea to Seattle when she was just a few months old. Her ears couldn't take it, and she screamed all the way home. Your sweet baby just reminds me of my little granddaughter. I know this must be so tough for you. You're doing a good job."


Her words brought such relief. Then...the plane landed. My little one fell asleep as soon as we touched down. Life continued. Even the glarers on the plane found their carry-ons and went about their business.

We all will be a "That Person" some time; whether it's because of a failure at work, stumbling over a crack in the street, or spinach between our teeth. When I was That Person, I longed for grace and kindness,and was blessed enough to receive it. Hopefully, I will have the compassion to do the same.

2 comments:

  1. Aaah! I am SO glad that you got a kind word, Sha!! My "that mother" experience on a plane involved me squeezed into the window seat with a screaming 4 month old MA, with a REALLY hostile man in the aisle seat (just 2 seats, no buffer)... And I had to try to nurse her to calm her down. That was the time we went straight to the drs office before we even went home from the airport - MA to her doc (she hadn't been diagnosed with all her ailments yet), me to mine to get anti-depressants... OH my. These things help us be the kind grandmas instead of the glarers... Now if I could just have eyes to see it in areas where I haven't had to live thru it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen to this: "if I could just have eyes to see it in areas where I haven't had to live thru it!" Why is my HINDsight always 20/20? I'm SO sorry that you had to endure the hostile man when you were already enduring so much.

    And praise the Lord for modern medicine.

    ReplyDelete